Guided Nature & Bird Watching Holidays
Pre-scheduled small-group guided nature and bird watching holidays and short breaks.
- How to book: if you’d like to join us on one of our scheduled holidays please submit a booking via the holiday detail page on this website. You can choose to pay the 10% booking deposit immediately online, or choose the Bank Transfer method to pay your deposit later by bank transfer or other means. If you have any questions please drop us a line by clicking on the “Ask a question” button on a particular tour, or via the contact form and we’ll do our best to answer them for you. You can also call us on +353 21 2358015, but bear in mind that we’re often out in the field guiding groups or watching wildlife, and may not be in a position to answer, so using the enquiry forms on the website or emailing [email protected] is the best way to get in touch initially.
- More information: you’ll find all the relevant details about each holiday published on this website. If you have any other questions, queries or concerns we’re here to help — just get in touch using the contact form on this site or give us a call.
- Deposits & Payment: to reserve places on a holiday/short-break we require payment of a booking deposit as specified on the detail page for the tour in question (most of our tours can be booked with a simple 10% deposit). The balance for your booking must be paid in full at least 6 weeks prior to the tour start date. For bookings made within 6 weeks of the holiday start date full payment is required at the time of booking.
- Secure online payment: we accept secure online payments via credit or debit card through our payment processing partner PayPal (you do not need a PayPal account to pay securely with your credit card through PayPal — but if you have one you can choose to pay using your existing PayPal balance).
- Electronic Funds Transfer: we also accept payment by Electronic Funds Transfer direct to our bank account (you’ll find relevant bank details in the confirmation email/electronic invoice we send out).
- Holiday Itinerary: please note that itineraries outlined on this website should be used only as a guide to your holiday, and are not final. Both weather conditions and wildlife are unpredictable, and we reserve the right to modify and adapt the itinerary both before the holiday commences and DURING the holiday in order to maximise your opportunities to see wildlife.
- Holiday Prices: the prices shown on our website are correct at the time of publication. However, prices from our suppliers can sometimes fluctuate due to a variety of factors outside our control. In the rare circumstances when this has a significant impact on the cost of providing your holiday we reserve the right to amend prices accordingly. Should this happen you’ll be notified of any changes as soon as they are finalised, and will be offered the option of accepting the new price, or cancelling your booking for a full refund of any fees paid.
- Booking Amendments: you can amend your booking at any point up to 28 days prior to the holiday’s start date. Amendments within 28 days of the holiday start date will be treated as a cancellation and re-booking (see cancellation policy outlined below). Alterations to an existing booking incur a €30 administration fee.
- Travel to and from central meeting point: our scheduled wildlife and bird watching holidays all start and end at the central meeting point specified on the holiday detail page on this website, and advised to you at time of booking.
- The price quoted for your holiday does not include travel to and from the designated meeting point.
- We can offer advice and guidance on the best travel options to / from the designated meeting point.
- Cancellations by You: if you wish to cancel your booking you must notify us as soon as possible, and confirm in writing (email is the easiest way, but you can also do so via registered mail if you prefer). Depending upon the date your cancellation is received the following cancellation policies will apply:
- More than 41 days before holiday start: full refund minus an admin fee of €30 per booking
- 41-28 days before holiday start: 40% cancellation penalty, balance refunded
- 27-14 days before holiday start: 60% cancellation penalty, balance refunded
- 13-8 days before holiday start: 80% cancellation penalty, balance refunded
- 7-0 days before holiday start: 100% cancellation penalty, no refund due
- Alternative Participants: if you have to cancel, but are able to refer someone else who can take up your places on the holiday, or if we have a standby list for your holiday and can resell your places, we’ll treat this as an “Amendment” rather than a cancellation, and will issue a refund of any fees paid less an administration charge of €30.
- Cancellations by Us: while we do our utmost to run our guided wildlife and birding holidays as scheduled we reserve the right to cancel any holiday in our programme for the following reason.
- Minimum Numbers: our holidays require a minimum threshold of six participants to make them viable. Should we have fewer than this number booked on a particular holiday six weeks before the start date, we will contact you and offer you the opportunity to either reschedule on an alternative holiday, or cancel for a full refund of any money paid.
- Other reasons beyond our control: if we are forced to cancel a holiday for any other reason beyond our control we will let you know as soon as possible, and will issue a full refund of any money paid.
- Force Majeure: Ireland’s Wildlife Tours will not be liable for any loss, damage or expense resulting from force majeure, or any unforeseen circumstance outside the control of the business.
- Clients are strongly recommended not to make any non-refundable or non-transferable travel arrangements more than 4 weeks before departure (2 weeks if less than 5 days duration) unless advised otherwise by ourselves.
- Medical Conditions: please alert us to any medical conditions which may affect you during your holiday (e.g. diabetes, epilepsy, asthma, vertigo or heart conditions). This information will be kept strictly confidential.
- Travel Insurance: Appropriate travel insurance with adequate cover for medical treatment and repatriation is required for participation of overseas visitors on an Ireland’s Wildlife Tour
- Equipment: It is your responsibility to bring appropriate equipment / clothing for your holiday. You’ll find a list of recommended gear in the booking confirmation email / holiday information sheet we send you once your booking is finalised. Basic requirements are simply appropriate waterproof / outdoor clothing and walking boots or wellies. Failure to bring appropriate gear / clothing may result in you being unable to participate in some or all of the activities on your holiday. In this instance Ireland’s Wildlife Tours will not be liable, and you will not be entitled to compensation.
- Optics: your guides will have high quality spotting scopes to give you close up views of distant wildlife. If you have your own binoculars we recommend bringing them with you. We have a limited number of high quality loan binoculars available for use on our tours. Please let us know if you’d like to borrow a pair.
Client Behaviour & Responsibility
- Listen to your guides: to ensure the safety and well being of the group, it is essential that clients abide by the decisions of the group leaders / guides at all times. If, in our opinion, your behaviour or fitness levels are such that you endanger the group or prevent the rest of the party from enjoying their holiday, you may be requested to leave the holiday. Should that happen you will not be entitled to a refund.
- Non-guided activities: please note that any activities you choose to undertake during your holiday that are not under the supervision of a guide (e.g. evening or early morning walks, swims, etc.) are entirely at your own risk.
- Safety and security: wildlife watching in Ireland is a comparatively safe pastime, however it does involve a degree of walking, occasionally on uneven terrain or in remote landscapes. That inevitably carries a degree of risk. Your guides will always put client safety first, and will do their utmost to ensure that you have a safe and enjoyable trip, but by booking a place on one of our holidays you accept that your safety and well being, and the security of your personal possessions and affects, is entirely your own responsibility, and that Ireland’s Wildlife Tours cannot be held liable for any loss, injury or damage.
- Insurance: please ensure that you take out appropriate travel insurance to cover you and your belongings for the duration of your holiday.
We always strive to make your holiday as enjoyable as possible. In the unlikely event of any complaint please bring it to the attention of one of your guides as soon as possible and we will will try to resolve the situation immediately. If we can’t find a resolution, and you feel you need to make a more formal complaint, please contact us in writing within 7 days of the end of your holiday and we can take things from there.
Custom Guiding Services
Custom small-group guided wildlife and birding tours over one or more days.
- How to book: if you’d like to book a professional Wildlife Guide for one or more days you can do so by sending us an initial booking request via the Custom Wildlife Guide page on this website. You can also call us on +353 86 8233709 but bear in mind that we’re often out guiding groups and watching wildlife, so using the contact form is often the most convenient way to get in touch.
- Dates & Availability: bookings are subject to guide availability, so to improve your chances of securing a guide it’s best to specify a range of dates that suit you. We work with a number of local wildlife and birding guides, and will do our best to accommodate your request. We’ll contact you you to confirm availability and finalise your booking once we’ve had chance to review your enquiry (usually within 24 hours).
- Payment: to reserve our guiding services you’ll need to make full payment at the time of booking confirmation.
- Secure online payment: we accept secure online payments via credit or debit card through our payment processing partner PayPal (you do not need a PayPal account to pay securely with your credit card through PayPal — but if you have one you can also pay using your existing PayPal balance).
- Electronic Funds Transfer: we also accept payment by Electronic Funds Transfer to our bank account (you’ll find the relevant bank details in the confirmation email / electronic invoice we send out).
- Cancellations by you: you are free to cancel your Custom Guide booking at any time up to 28 days ahead of the scheduled guiding date for a full refund of the fee paid. Cancellations between 28 days and 14 days from the scheduled guiding date will incur a 50% cancellation fee, and we’ll refund the balance. Unfortunately we can’t offer refunds for cancellations less than 14 days, but will offer your the option of rescheduling the tour for another date subject to guide availability.
- Cancellations by us: we do our best to undertake all of the custom guided tours booked with us. However, we reserve the right to cancel the tour at any time for any reasons out of our immediate control. This is extremely rare, and in the unlikely event that it does occur you will be issued with a full refund of any fees paid, or the option of rescheduling your tour for an alternative date.
- Bad Weather: weather throughout Ireland is often unpredictable, but rarely dangerous. For the most part we advise guests to dress appropriately for prevailing conditions, and proceed with booked tours as planned. There is always wildlife to see — and varying conditions often present a different suite of wildlife characters, or curious behaviours we wouldn’t otherwise get to witness. Some of our most intriguing wildlife encounters have occurred in conditions many would consider far from optimal.
- If we cancel due to weather: we only ever cancel tours due to bad weather if conditions are so extreme that it is impossible to proceed (think sustained gale force winds with persistent driving rain). In these rare cases we will offer you the opportunity to reschedule or issue you with a full refund of fees paid.
- If you choose not to proceed: if we are willing to lead the tour, but you elect not to proceed due to inclement weather, we consider that a cancellation on your part, and will be unable to offer a refund. We will offer you the opportunity to re-schedule the tour, subject to availability, but cannot guarantee we will be able to accommodate you on a particular date, especially during busy periods.
- Medical Conditions: please inform us in advance of any medical conditions which may affect you or any other member of your party during your tour (e.g. diabetes, epilepsy, asthma, vertigo or heart conditions). This information will be kept strictly confidential.
- Equipment: please ensure that you bring appropriate clothing for the prevailing weather conditions. As a minimum you will need a good waterproof jacket and trousers, boots or wellies, and a small day pack for loose belongings. Please also bring a packed lunch and juice / water.
- Optics: your guide will have a high quality spotting scope to give you close up views of distant wildlife. If you have your own binoculars we recommend bringing them with you. We have a limited number of high quality loan binoculars available for use on our tours. Please let us know if you’d like to borrow a pair.